Community of La Oliva
Corralejo with dunes
Corralejo with dunes
coat of arms
Map of the Canary Islands
Coat of arms of La Oliva
La Oliva (Canary Islands)
Finland road sign 311.svg
Autonomous Community: Canary Islands
Province: Las Palmas
Coordinates ♁28 ° 37 'N, 13 ° 56' W
Coordinates: 28 ° 37 'N, 13 ° 56' W | |
Height: 219 msnm
Surface area: 356.13 km²
Population: 24,508 (1 January 2016) 
Population density: 68.82 inhabitants / km²
Postal code: E-35640 (La Oliva)
E-35650 (El Cotillo)
Municipal number (INE): 35014
Mayor: Rosa Fernandes Rodrígez (PSOE). (As of 2009)
Address of the municipality: C / Emilio Castellot, 2
35640 - La Oliva
Location of the municipality
Montaña de Tindaya
Lighthouse at El Cotillo
La Oliva is one of the six municipalities of the Canary Island of Fuerteventura. The administrative center is La Oliva. The uninhabited island of Lobos is also part of the municipality.
1Orte of the municipality
Places of interest
Places of the municipality
The population figures in brackets are from 2011
• Corralejo (14.914)
• Lajares (1,690)
• Villaverde (1,679)
• La Oliva (1.354)
• Parque Holandes (1.075)
• El Cotillo (1,126)
• Tindaya (602)
• El Roque (231)
• Vallebron (114)
• Caldereta (129)
• Majanicho (35)
• Isla de Lobos (4)
The name La Oliva is derived from the abundant occurrence of the wild olive tree (Olea europaea). In 1708, La Oliva was the seat of the military commander. In 1711, the village was given its own parish. Fuerteventura has been managed by La Oliva for several years. This position lost the city however 1860 at Puerto de Cabras, today's Puerto del Rosario.
The Montaña de Tindaya with 401 msnm was the Holy Mountain of the Old Canarians. The most recent volcano on the island is the 420 m high Montaña de Arena, which was erupted about 4000 years ago, its lava flowed to Lajares. The latest or fourth series of eruptions can be seen in the fact that there has been no lime encrustation and very little weathering. So this country is also called Malpaís (bad country). The previous third eruption series took place approximately 690,000 years ago.
In the municipality of La Oliva you can find the black Picón-Abaumhalden. In the 1950s, General Franco promoted the opencast mining of the lava granulate, which is important for irrigation, as part of a government aid plan for the underdeveloped island. The dune area south of Corralejo has been protected since 1982 and forms the natural park Parque Natural de Corralejo. Since 1987 belongs also the uninhabited island Lobos to it.
In the name of the village of Villaverde is the term verde (green), because this village is surprisingly green. It is located at a height of 200 meters, in the humidity-producing North-East Passat. The Picón or Lapilli, this small, porous stone, can store the moisture. This kind of field cultivation is called Enarenado.
Casa de Coroneles at La Oliva • Casa de Coronel was built in the 17th century on the outskirts of La Oliva in typical Spanish colonial style. It is decorated with sumptuous wooden balconies and side towers with battlements, the coat of arms of the clan of Coroneles emblazoned above the portal. In 1994, the Canary Government acquired the resident and listed property. Since 2006 it has become a cultural center with a museum and a historical archive.
• The three-aisle parish church of the eighteenth century Iglesia de las Candelaria, with a large bell tower, is part of the cityscape. It has emerged from the first chapel in honor of the Virgen del Rosario. To be seen is the image of the Last Judgment, about 3x4 meters, donated in 1732 by the son of the founder of Casa de los Coroneles. In 1993 this church, like many on the island, was also named Bien de Interés Cultural.
• The Cultural Center Centro de Arte Canario in the Casa Mané is a mansion, restored by Manuel Delgado Camino (Mané), for the works of young Canarian artists. The spacious garden of the Casa Mané with its opuntias and young palm trees is a work of art in itself.
• Museo del Grano La Cilla is an agricultural museum housed in the granary Casa de la Cilla.
• Cueva del Llano de Villaverde is about 600 meters long and is open to the public. The area above the cave is equipped with natural stones and an exhibition space. From the natural history point of view, the remains of vertebrate animals discovered in the cave, as well as the endemic spider species living there.
• At the Museo Casa Marco in Villaverde you can get the island-typical products like cactus liqueur, mulberry jam, goat cheese, figs and pottery.
• The 18th century chapel in Vallebron