Die Geschichte von Fuerteventura

story

 The Canaries, also Fuerteventura, were inhabited by native peoples, the Guanches. The North African Berber tribes are believed to originate, which populated the islands from around 3000 BC. Starting from the 30th century BC, a first settlement of the Canaries takes place in at least two waves. Around the 11th century BC, Phoenician sailors Fuerteventura and Lanzarote probably visit, but this is not clear. In the 8th or early 7th century BC the Greek poet Homer describes in the Odyssey the "islands of the blissful" [10], which were often identified with the Canary Islands in ancient times.
 Across the landenge of the island, which separated the northern part from the south, there should have been a stone wall until the arrival of the Spaniards in the fifteenth century. He bordered the two kingdoms of the island into the northern Maxorata with King Guize and the southern Gandía (today Jandía) with King Ayoze.
 As you cross the Landenge of Jandía you can see the remains of a thick, about three meter high wall below the wind farm of Costa Calma. Whether it is the real wall of the legend is questionable.1312 landed Lancelotto Malocello on Lanzarote. Because of his fantastic reports - in 1340 - Spanish and Portuguese broke out with expeditions to the Canaries. The islands were visited by European gold prospectors, traders and slaves. In 1402, Norman Jean de Béthencourt launched an expedition from Lanzarote, which he had previously subjected.

In January 1405 King Guize was baptized with his followers. A day later, King Ayoze followed with many of his inhabitants. The kings remained on the island, and even returned lands. Betancuria was founded as a capital. In 1412, Béthencourt deposed the Lehnsheid before the Spanish king. In 1424 Fuerteventura became a bishopric for political reasons. The bishop, however, never took office on the spot. In 1430, the appointment to the diocese was declared invalid and Guillén de las Casas acquired the title to the island. In 1441, the Franciscan Didakus came to the island and founded the monastery Fortaventure. He is considered a missionary of the Guanches. In 1456 the property of Guillén passed over to his heir, Diego García de Herrera. Herrera and his successors ruled over the island as señores and systematically developed them.

The main source of income for the Herrera clan was the slave hunt on the North African coast. In 1708, a military ruling, the so-called Coroneles, was established, based in La Oliva. In 1740 English corsairs landed at Gran Tarajal and wanted to subdue the island, but they were defeated in two battles at Tuineje.

During the 17th and 18th century, there were frequent attacks on privateers. The two fortress towers of El Cotillo and Caleta de Fuste were built to protect the island in 1740. In 1834 Antigua became a new capital. In 1835, the administrative seat was moved to Puerto de Cabras (now Puerto del Rosario). In 1836 the feudal domination of the Señores was abolished.

In 1852, the Canary Islands were declared a free trade area by Isabella II. The military rule over the island was dissolved in 1859, and Puerto de Cabras became the new and present capital of the island in 1860. In 1812 the Canary Islands were given the right to self-administration (Cabildo Insular).

Fuerteventura and Lanzarote became part of the province of Las Palmas in 1927. In 1966, the first holidaymakers came to the island. In 1975 about 4,500 Spanish foreigners were transferred to Puerto del Rosario. In 1982, the Canary Islands were given their own autonomous status.

In 1986, Spain joined the European Community, but the Canaries retained their special status. Tourism became the main source of income for the island in 1990; The construction activities reached its peak. The stranger legion was withdrawn from Fuerteventura in 1996.